- About Us
- News & Events
- Get Information
- Our Research
- Treatment Trials
- MAPrc Clinics
Thinking of doing postgraduate study?
MAPrc has a great range of projects available for higher degree students. You will be supervised by experts in your chosen field and have the opportunity to work with the latest cutting edge neurotechonologies.
MAPrc is situated in the heart of a major Melbourne teaching hospital, The Alfred. This creates a powerful connection between researchers and people who will benefit from our work.
We conduct numerous projects with people suffering mental illness such as schizophrenia, depression, bipolar affective disorder, autism and many more.
PhD opportunity 2014
We are offering a PhD position at MAPrc in the fields of neuropsychiatry and neurophysiology. The PhD project will encompass a number of domains relating to mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) and the vestibular system. The candidate will be responsible for MRI brain scanning rats in the Monash Biomedical Imaging 9.4Tesla MRI scanner using advanced techniques such as resting state functional MRI and diffusion tensor imaging. The data is then to be analysed in order to establish the pathways between the vestibular system and other brain regions in both healthy and mTBI rats. The successful candidate will also be involved in behavioural assessment of these small animals. The successful candidate will apply for the standard APA scholarship which will then be supplemented by an additional AUD$10,000 per year scholarship from the industry partner.
The benefits to ND from investing in this research is to build clinical/biomedical evidence that EVestG works as it is believed to work when measuring subjects suffering and recovering repeated mTBI.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Dr Jerome Maller at email@example.com or Associate Professor Ramesh Rajan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honours opportunities 2014
We are offering a number of Honours projects in 2014 at MAPrc. For further information about the different projects and contact details, please check the attachment below.
Honours project titles
Brain stimulation and neuroscience
- Can mild brain stimulation enhance emotional training?
- Cognitive enhancement: an investigation of non-invasive electrical brain stimulation methods
- Does near infra-red spectroscopy improve cognition in healthy adults?
- Investigating brain stimulation methods for the treatment of chronic pain syndromes
- Understanding physical, social and empathy for pain via brain stimulation
- Genetic variation in cognition and symptoms of schizophrenia
- Pharmacogenomic testing in patients taking antidepressants
Women's mental health
- Borderline Personality Disorder in women
- Gestational Diabetes in women with severe mental illness
- Is metformin effective for the treatment of obesity in women with obesity and depression?
- Outcomes of the Women's Mental Health Clinic
- Why do women with schizophrenia choose to use or not use antipsychotic medication in pregnancy?
- Women with severe mental illness